Capital Area Community Services was awarded $1.5 million for the federally funded Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP). LIHWAP funds will be used to assist income-eligible residents in Clinton, Eaton, Ingham, and Shiawassee counties with water and sewer bills, shut-offs, and reconnection fees.
Organizations with clients that have over-due balances are responsible for contacting CACS directly to apply for assistance. People who are struggling with water and sewer bills, shut-offs, and more, may use the attached flyer to show their provider.
Assistance is capped at $650 per household per year and can be used to pay for water and sewer-related costs.
In order for CACS to make payments to your organization on behalf of any of your customers applying for LIHWAP assistance, you will need to:
- Submit a fully completed MOU (template attached)
- Fill in your Entity Name with Primary Contact Information on Page 1
- Complete one of the signature blocks at the bottom of Page 1, and sign it
- Fill in your Entity Name in each of the highlighted/underlined blanks on Pages 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Submit a completed W-9 (blank form attached)
- If you believe CACS has a W-9 already on file for your organization, please feel free to check with us before filling and submitting another
- Register with the MDHHS in SIGMA Vendor Self Service (VSS) to receive LIHWAP SER payments, if not a currently registered vendor:
You may return the completed MOU and W-9 either of the following ways:
Regular Mail or In Person: Attention – LIHWAP/Pam Elise
Capital Area Community Services, Inc.
1301 Rensen Street
Lansing, MI 48910
LIHWAP will be available until September 30, 2023.